How SharePoint Syntex Uses AI to Meet Transactional Content Management Challenges
04 Nov 2020
The clue to what Transactional Content Management (TCM) is lies in the very nomenclature: it’s about the transaction that happens during a process, such as a renewed contract, an approved invoice, a denied benefit claim.
It’s about setting specific rules to classify business content based on organizational requirements, which can be commercial, legislative, regulatory or policy-based in nature.
Current Challenges in Document Management
TCM involves people manually classifying business content in their organization’s content management system using tags, metadata, etc. The durations for these transactions to happen are usually tight, leading to elevated work pressure and costs.
The current challenges in document management include:
- Manually applying metadata tags to classify content which if left incomplete or done incorrectly leads to more time being spent by users to look for it and the risk of breaching compliance requirements.
- Version control is hard to maintain if documents are not stored in a centralised repository or, if stored, aren’t easily accessible.
- In the age of remote working, if the centralised repository is not accessible across devices, and automated workflows are not set up, it can cause delays to the decision-making process for transactional content.
If only there was a technological solution that could help automate the administrative processes involved in TCM, thereby freeing up time for users to concentrate on the decision-making component of transactions.
Hello, SharePoint Syntex
SharePoint Syntex, a Microsoft’s AI-Based Knowledge Management platform, aims to be a TCM solution that harnesses the powers of AI to automate the processes of applying corporate taxonomy to business content and classifying content based on business rules. Imagine the time and effort your organization could save!
SharePoint Syntex’s AI-based automated content classification feature uses advanced AI to capture and tag structured and unstructured content. The purpose here is to enhance document understanding via Intelligent Automation and there are two components to this:
- Classifiers which are trained to identify file types that are uploaded into a library
- Extractors which capture metadata that matches certain phrases, patterns or keywords
If the content contains sensitive data, then SharePoint Syntex can automate the application of sensitive and retention labelling to it, based on the policies set up in your organization’s Microsoft 365 suite.
SharePoint Syntex’s main premise is to infuse intelligent capability into everyday office apps to empower users with information and expertise. It proactively pushes relevant content directly to users when they need it the most.
It connects content in Microsoft 365 and external content, enabling users to manage information and streamline processes with advanced security, compliance, and automated workflows.
Why SharePoint Syntex is exciting!
The possibilities of boosting productivity and efficiency levels even further is going to get real with SharePoint Syntex.
It can enable users to grasp information within seconds via the Topic Pages and Topic Cards features that would be automatically curated from inherent knowledge that is and always has been available across the multitudes of sites, groups, teams and search that users have at their disposal within Microsoft 365 Enterprise.
By leveraging AI, Microsoft 365 can identify the knowledge and excerpts users will need and automatically build a knowledge network based on learning about the relationships between people and their interactions with each other, and with the files and content they work on.
As users upload files into SharePoint, each file is then automatically scanned, and metadata is extracted and applied. The file is then routed to the right place with additional information protection applied, if this is required.
The best bit is that Microsoft plans to launch SharePoint Syntex in Microsoft 365 Enterprise Plans soon!
How can your organization benefit from SharePoint Syntex?
SharePoint Syntex is aimed to propel Microsoft’s Intelligent Content Services offering by identifying and curating Knowledge from your organization’s business content and making it easily, intuitively discoverable to users’ fingertips - just a quick search in Microsoft 365 will do.
Here’s what to expect:
- Index Objects in Images: SharePoint Syntex uses image and text recognition to identify objects in scanned or uploaded images based on an understanding of more than 10,000 attributes, and extracts text from images and PDF files.
- Extract and Tag Key Information: The SharePoint Syntex forms processing system enables users to identify important information and extract it as metadata, such as invoices.
- Discover Information in Unstructured Content: SharePoint Syntex machine teaching capabilities enable excerpts to train the AI to recognise information in unstructured content that often have a mix of information and formatting, e.g. training materials or sales proposals.
- Topic Mining: SharePoint Syntex applies advanced topic mining logic to identify topics and relate content to those topics and creates an organizational knowledge network based on relationships between topics, content and people. For example, if “healthcare” was a topic, then the model would organise data into “health,” “patient,” “symptoms,” “hospital”, etc.
How we can help with SharePoint Syntex
The possibilities are truly infinite with SharePoint Syntex in making content intelligently accessible and smarter for your organization to benefit from.