University of Houston Downtown
Migration from Legacy CMS to SharePoint
The University of Houston–Downtown (UHD) is a state university in the University of Houston System. Founded in 1974, UHD is the second-largest university in the Houston area with more than 14,000 students.
Case Study Overview
The university needed to migrate all web content from UHD’s legacy website www.uhd.edu to SharePoint, including web pages and all linked images and attachments (documents, videos etc.)
The Complexities Of Migrating From Legacy CMS To SharePoint
- Extract all the legacy web pages, images and PDF documents from www.uhd.edu site
- Transform the web content by restyling the content and remove old code to make it SharePoint-compatible
- Load the web content into SharePoint in a site-subsite hierarchy, as per a defined source-target structure mapping
- Associate the correct Page layout & set the Title and other metadata attributes as per the rules
- Ensure Images were loaded into the correct page Assets library and Documents into the Documents library of the Site
- Resolve the Links and Images within each page to point them to items loaded into SharePoint
Solving University of Houston–Downtown’ Unique Challenges
Our team configured our Proventeq Migration Accelerator for SharePoint, with source connector for Legacy websites allowing for rapid deployment of content to the target system.
We configured complex rules for metadata mapping and HTML transformation, allowing the University of Houston Downtown to move content like-for-like to their SharePoint system.
We also configured reusable rules and mappings to enable content restructuring, content cleansing, as well as multiple reprocessing.
Finally, our team performed an item-level audit during migration that the migration project ensured data integrity and reached completion.